Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: network based spyware scanner

From: "Rodney Green" <rodgreen () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 18:53:07 -0500

BHO Scanner might help.
http://www.nsauditor.com/anti_adware_spyware_tools/browser_helper_objects_scanner.html

The pro version is better and is included with nsauditor
http://www.nsauditor.com/downloads/index.html

On 11/15/06, Justin Lintz <jlintz () gmail com> wrote:
Why not a better solution of implementing policies on the machines to
prevent spyware from even being installed in the first place?  A
couple things off the top of my head...

-Disable Activex
-Make sure users do not have administrator rights on their machines
    -Administrators should be the only ones installing approved
software on employees machines
-Ensure windows updates are set to automatically update and install or
if you have a windows update server, that you push the updates out in
a timely fashion.
-Make sure email clients have latest security patches to avoid
anything being executed inside preview panes of email messages.
-Antivirus on the email server itself.
-And most important, user education on spyware and the dangers that
lurk on the internet

--
- Justin Lintz