Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Small business IT security

From: Dave Ockwell-Jenner <lists () solar-nexus com>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 19:46:13 -0500

The obvious answer here appears to be finding a different service company that doesn't have ties to the competition. If that isn't an option, then at least your client should consider some legal opinion on seeking a mutually protecting contract that outlines the risks and liabilities of both parties.

Secondly, I would suggest that any company intellectual property be protected. Perhaps company sensitive data can be stored on a central system that has removable media. If the system requires any service, pull the sensitive storage and just send the box off. Better still, why not have the service company provide on-site supervised support.

Really though, this is a question of risk (as are most things). What's your clients comfort level with having their data potentially end up with a competitor and/or customer? It may not even be malicious, just accident on the part of the service company; say transposing drives in two systems they are working on. If that makes your client jittery, then think of ways to protect sensitive material from technicians that will have unrestricted physical access to these systems. In many ways, this seems similar in some respects to protecting data on laptops in the event of theft. The laptop may be gone, but the data may still be protected.

Hope that helps,
Dave.

jonathan () gatewaysa com wrote:
Hi

I dont know if this is the correct place to post this. I am doing some work for a small company with around 80 pc's. They
dont have any inhouse IT staff and use an out side little computer dealer for all their work. These guyse look after everything
from the pc's to the servers to the network. They obviously have all the admin passwords etc and if somehting needs to be
repaired they take it to their workshop where one of the technicians will repair it. This It shop also does work for one of the
competitors as well as a few customers.

I know all the security risks but short of hiring someone in house what else could be done to ensure they Information
Security.

Thanks
Jonathan

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The NSA has designated Norwich University a center of Academic Excellence in Information Security. Our program offers unparalleled Infosec management education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience. Using interactive e-Learning technology, you can earn this esteemed degree, without disrupting your career or home life.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus