Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Unauthorised switchport access

From: "Murda Mcloud" <murdamcloud () bigpond com>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 09:43:32 +1000

If I understand you correctly, then yes, anyone would be able to get an IP
and away they go. Now, that means the next thing would be to start
enumertaing servers etc if they could even if they are not on the domain(if
you're using windows). So it is definitely a foot in the door type
scenario-and to be honest, the people to mistrust the most are the techie
types who no doubt would have access to the WC from other orgs.
Real world example; someone (possibly)from the company on the floor above us
was broadcasting a wireless access point-we kept seeing a SSID of our
company name and it seemed setup to allow unauthenticated access to some
'network'. Our company name is pretty unique so chances are...

I guess you'd have to look at some kind of 802.1x/RADIUS option-there may be
commercial apps that do this kind of 'don't give an ip unless authenticated
first', I'm pretty sure there are open source ones.
Also is there some way you could put a locked cabinet inside the WC? Just
for you? In my mind, it would be worth it.