Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: MS Audit logs

From: Daniel Cid <danielcid () yahoo com br>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 14:04:02 -0300 (ART)

Hi Davie,

Because you enabled every audit option, you will
get a lot of useless and some useful information. You
can extract this events using snare to a log server,
but you will still have to analyze all the data in
there. If you have multiple servers it is going to be
hard to do it manually (and snare has no correlation
on it)..

I would recommend you to try *OSSEC. It has a windows
agent that will extract your windows logs and forward
them (encrypted) to an analysis server. In your
log analysis server, you need install the ossec server
to receive this events from windows (or from linux).
On the log server, OSSEC will correlate your windows
logs, generate alerts, generate responses, etc.

More info:
http://www.ossec.net

Windows agents info:
http://www.ossec.net/en/manual.html#windows

*ossec is open source and I'm part of its development.

hope it helps,

--
Daniel B. Cid
dcid @ ( at ) ossec.net