Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Blank line in MSCONFIG Startup in Windows XP Pro

From: xchaotic () gmail com
Date: 8 May 2006 08:34:21 -0000

Just as you mentioned, the Startup Items listed in the msconfig usually originate
from:HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run in the registry, a few are from
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run in the registry.
Another place is a startup folder in the start menu.
A blank entry as shown in msconfig is nothing special, it's afaik a result of removing the items disabled by msconfig
fro mthe registry, If you feel confident enough, just edit the registry itself, either way don't bother with the blanks.

Hi everyone!

I have an odd issue that I would like very much to troubleshoot. When I launch MSCONFIG in Windows XP Professional, on
the startup tab, there are various processes that start up. Most of the self-starting processes occur from
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run in the registry, a few are from
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run in the registry, and some are listed as Common Startup items. I
consider myself fairly savvy, and look up processes I don't know about at sites like www.answersthatwork.com.

But there is a blank checkbox that shows up in MSCONFIG under HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run in the
registry that worries me. If I uncheck the process in MSCONFIG, nothing seems to happen. I do not believe I have a
virus, use McAfee VirusScan Online, the virusscans come out clean, run Sunbelt Software's Counterspy which also shows
up clean.

I worry about rootkits and such, and run F-Secure's Blacklight software which also shows up clean. Can anyone give me
some tips to asses if my system is compromised in some way, or suggested next steps to figure this out?

I also run Zone Alarm Pro firefall.

Any help is much appreciated.