Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Bulk encryption capabilities of a TPM

From: "Saqib Ali" <docbook.xml () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 7 May 2006 11:02:34 -0700

Hello Alexander,

Thanks for the response. Few more questions..

As far as I can guess, it works as follows: ROM code hashes boot
sector and reports the result to the TPM, the boot sector hashes the
kernel, et cetera. Kernel reads a blob of data from disk (or USB, or
whatever) and asks TPM to decrypt the blob. The TPM uses his own key
for decryption of the blob, but TPM outputs the key only if the main
CPU's software hash matches the value stored in the blob.

Does the blob of data contain the bulk encryption key?

If the TPM is doing the decryption, why does the CPU needs to have the
key? Or does the the TPM "only" decrypts the bulk encryption key, pass
it to the CPU, which CPU uses for decryption the whole HDD??

Thanks again.
--
Saqib Ali, CISSP, ISSAP
Support http://www.capital-punishment.net