Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Network Folder Security

From: Raoul Armfield <armfield () amnh org>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2006 15:57:33 -0400

Rolando,

In addition to what everyone else said. Make a policy that no one logs in using the default administrator account. If you allow this Auditing will be useless to you because you will not know who did what. Best practice would be to give the default admin account a strong password and lock it in a safe and give everyone that needs it an admin level account that is only used when needed. This account would be in addition to an everyday account.

Raoul

Ruiz, Rolando wrote:
Hello security community,

I wonder if anyone can help me police my own staff. I find that changes
happen to folder security after they have been set. Someone is obviously
going in there and changing things and not confessing that they have. I
suspect there is a disgruntle employee or two making these changes. Is there
a way (easy or difficult) to see who has made changes to a folder's security
settings?

Regards,

Rolando Ruiz

Information Technology