Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: How hackers cause damage... was Vulnerabilites in new laws on computer hacking

From: dave <fla.linux () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 09:50:11 -0500

David Gillett wrote:

1) If it's your friend's machine, you should be able to get authorization from him/her.
whats the fun in that! If it's a friend and you arent going to do anything serious you shouldnt need permission. Once again: choose your targets wisely. My grandfather owns a business...nothing much but pretty successfull. I craked their companies servers without permission, I didnt do anything but place a note on the managers desktop saying I was there...so what! I know at least 15 folks that would let me bang away at their systems (without permission)....if you want to practice breaking into computers and you MUST have permission then get together with a few buddies with the same interest and see what you can all put together. We found a number of computers in trash after christmas. Yea...they were a bit old but 2 of them were good P4 systems that just needed some virus / spyware removed. We used these FREE machines to set up a small wargames network with various servers IIS, apache, ssh etc... If you have a server ask your friends to hack your server and ask them to share their results. This not only makes you a more skilled cracker it makes you more skilled at reacting to attacks and gives you first hand experience on how to set up IDS and other ways to secure various systems from attacks.

Do you really know what 153.18.19.33 is?
Does 1.2.3.4 matter...my friends server is at www.?.com. I'll let the dns find the ip...besides all my friends use static IP for their servers and internet gateways. Yea..if your blindly scanning 1.2.3.4-1.2.3.255 then you are looking to get into something you prob. shouldnt.

Does knowing what it was yesterday tell you what it is today?
Do you know that it's not monitoring oxygen levels and anaesthetic
flow during surgery?
I know for a fact that it is not...if the machine is that easily available over the internet I am pretty certain that it isnt keeping someones heart pumping. Most hospitals still use DOS based systems for these tasks sometimes. I am most certain that NONE of these machines have direct internet connection with an internet IP address. You would have to be poking around deep inside their internal network...no script kiddie can do this (if they can, or if admin connected life support (or any critical) system to internet, once again, he should be fired. The admin(even the company that hired him) that put such a critical system in such an insecure area should also be sued for liability if someones life was lost due to a security breach). This is not soley the crackers error. Stupid admins are responsible for their stupidity too.

Answers:  No.

2)  Same answer as above.

As far as "ability to bring down" -- there are legacy boxes out there which may crash when subjected to fairly simple probe code.
(No, I will not volunteer details.)  How do I know that you're not
hunting for them?  Answer:  I *have to* assume that you are.
I hunt for no one...I couldnt care less what is out there. Yes...please keep quiet about how to crash an old DOS box. I'm sure it is real tricky.

If you have permission, this whole thread doesn't apply to you.  If
you don't have permission -- THEN you don't have permission.
Yes..this thread was about kids trying to learn computers cracking.

A weasel "but I only meant to ..." *might* get you a lighter sentence,
but it won't change that you broke the law.  Nor should it.
A weasel..hahaha. Some reading comprehension there! I never said one should be excused for breaking a law. I said the extent of the punishment dealt out by the law is to extreme for minor cases. Once again..if you kill someone you should face appropriate charges...if you bring down a production server then you should pay for your crime accordingly. If you do no harm you should do know time, no 'weaseling' necessary. Class B and C misdomeanors should recieve fine maybe probation. I have said this 10 times already and still you think I am saying that by not damaging anything it is not breaking a law...listen, spitting on the sidewalk is breaking the law...you shouldnt do time for it! As far as saying.."how do I know if they did harm"...well if you work at that companies IT/security department its your job to know. If you cant fullfil your job responsibilities then you should not have one. If I owned a company and we got hacked and the admin tells me he doesnt know what happened or what the guy did then what use is he to me? If the admin is worrying about losing his job then he needs to learn how to do his job. Anyone can just reinstall from original media at the first sign of an incedent.

Years ago me and my little brother cracked a network for a flower shop down the street. We knew a girl that worked there and wanted to goof on her. We cracked the companies web server and worked our way in etc... We had no permission. We did no damage to the machine(s). business was not interupted and no customers data was at risk at anytime (at least from us). Should we do prison time? Has anyone here ever actually been to a state prison? Get real!

I have read reports (on security focus.com) of people who have done time for others actions. Example: Lets say I wrote a trojan horse program and published it. If someone else were to use that program for ill means then I could face charges for writing and publishing the program. This HAS happened before. A man wrote a trojan and posted it on Astalavista. Another person used this program to commit a crime (tried to hack government computer if I remember correctly). The actual author was charged. This is another crazy computer based law....but in some places it is the *law*.

This topic is old and quickly getting stale...move on. It appears as if the reading comprehension here is pretty low...over half of the reponses showed that the reader didnt understand what I said.

The law has differnet degrees of crimes and punishment. Simply cracking a computer should not be that serious...I will not say it again. I will not read any more responses from people telling me that it IS breaking the law..I know, I have said this 10 times myself...I think everyone is in agreement there. The question is, how much punishment a kid should receive for looking around some computer (without permission). According to this group we should burn him at the stake for his evil deed. You know, burning people alive for speaking against the church was *law* too at one point in time, even then you had those who walked around and praised the law and tried to sound important. Good thing man as a whole doesnt put up with over extreme and nonesense laws forever. Once we get over our fear of technology (and we get over the bullshit fear of "hackers" that the media has created...same as JAWS and going to the beach...its nonsense!) the laws will need to be rewritten to incude some sanity / reasoning.

David Gillett