Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Computer Forensics is a misnomer Was: How hackers cause damage... was Vulnerabilites in new laws

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 14:24:38 -0800

From: James Eppolito [mailto:JEppolito () AirLogix com]

This question may be overly simplistic but here goes; Craig
Wright wrote, "(please note computer forensics is a misnomer
and grammatically incorrect)"
Why is that?

  I can't claim to *know* what Craig was thinking, but I recently
took a Computer Forensics course as part of my preparation for the
CISSP exam.

  A significant chunk of the class had signed up under the impression
that the class would be investigating various kinds of *computer*
incidents -- malware, rootkits, etc.(*)  But what we were actually
looking at was preserving and collecting evidence (of any sort of
misdeed) that happened to be located in a computer system.  That's
a somewhat different kettle of fish.

  So I suggested to the faculty (they asked for feedback since this
was the first time the course had been offered) that they change
the name to something like "Collecting and Handling Digital Evidence",
to avoid any confusion with Computer Incident Response and
Investigation.

(*) There was another contingent who enrolled in the class under its
cross-listing in the Administration of Justice curriculum, who came
to be known by the technologists in the course as the "what's a thumb
drive?" crowd.

David Gillett, CISSP

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management
education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience.
Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree
customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning,
Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus