Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: MS Windows Hidden Shares

From: "Dunigan, Michael" <mdunigan () umich edu>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 15:05:43 -0500

Jeff,

        It depends on what you want to monitor in the hidden shares.  I
use a product called ServersAlive to monitor my servers and am very
happy with it.  (http://www.serversalive.com)  It has multiple checks
that can be done against Windows, NetWare, and *nix servers.  A small
selection might be things like free space on a disk resource, processor
utilization on a NetWare box, check for a running process on a Windows
box, etc.  You'll have to check the webpage to review the long list of
check available.

        There is a free version that has some limitations of output
types and a limit to the number of checks you can run, without
purchasing a license.  The limitations are very minor and if you have
modest requirements, you can run the free version forever without paying
anything, so it is a great way to see if it will work for you.  The
developer is a great resource to the product mail list, answering
questions and dealing with anything might come up.

        I have no financial interest in the product.  I am just a
satisfied customer.

Michael J. Dunigan
Office of the Registrar, University of Michigan
(734) 647-3633
MDunigan at umich dot edu
be used for urgent or sensitive issues.