Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Question about use of VMware to build an isolated network from host machine

From: ricci () cs ust hk
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 00:08:51 +0800 (HKT)

Hello Burton,

Thanks. Your suggestion is very useful. However, I can't find this
information in the VMWare guide. Can you please point me to a detail
guide? Also what's the name of the tool?

Please advise.

Thx.

Ricci

It shouldn't be a big deal.  One of the things you can configure is the
VMware networking - for which you have three basic choices.

(1) Bridged.  The VM shares the hosts' network card.

(2) Host only. The VMs only connect to the host.

(3) NAT/DHCP - where the VMs have their own network, but the host provides
DHCP / NAT service so they can access the outside world.

There's actually a 4th, in that a host network card can be dedicated to
one
or more VMs.  On the Windows host, bring up the network properties and
UNCHECK everything except the VMware option.  Then use network properties
connect that specific NIC to the VM.

This lets you set up really odd configurations, such as a firewall running
INSIDE a Windows host, where the FW can't access the host and the host
can't
access the FW's networks - yet you, sitting at the console, have access to
both!

For all of this, the tool you need is VMware's  Network Configuration tool
-
it's there, although it doesn't always seem to have an icon created for
it.

-----Burton