Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: user internet usage monitoring

From: barcajax () gmail com
Date: 14 Jun 2006 20:31:50 -0000

Deploy a proxy (eg. Squid, ISA, Netcache) that will allow you to collect web-related logs and this should allow you to
churn out Internet usage reports.
Personally, I have tried out the eTrust solution before and I feel that it is neither a best-of-breed IDS nor URL
filtering product. Unless budget is an issue, I suggest you substitute your eTrust URL filtering with a more robust
appliance-based solution (like Webwasher, Finjan, etc) and get a superior IDS (TippingPoint, IntruShield, etc).
The content security appliance will be able to provide Internet usage statistics too.