Security Basics mailing list archives

MS in information security

From: shyaam () gmail com
Date: 19 Jul 2006 17:16:34 -0000

Dude,
If you have really been in the field or in anything for a long time, you would understand that all that matters is not
the degree. This is not a personal statement, but it would be nice if we dont discuss about any private individual in
public.
About the degree, it all depends on the individual. The insititue can never be blamed for that. If an individual is
putting the fullest extent of his knowledge and the efforts to learn more, by practically implementing or
investigating(aka researching) on what he wants to do and currently doing, then he has the full fruit of his success in
the form of degree. What some people do is, enroll in group projects and let their groupmates do the job. What happens
in this case, the guy who does the entire job gets a B because he concentrated on the completion of the project, where
as the guy who gave it to the other guy got an A, because he read all the theory matter. What is the moral? It is not
the grade or the degree that matters or neither the school, but that doesnt mean that a degree is not important. There
are so many people who has learnt it the hard way in going through a degree. Does that mean that the fruit of their
success is just a paper that the earn that has their name
  in it with degree. NOPE. The ones who learnt it the hard way will sail through tomorrow's market, and the ones who
learnt it for A grade will still live in theory. But they will sink one day, as their goal was not to learn but the
grade that they get.
If people are realizing about this in a more practical perspective instead of a management's perspective it is more
clear.
If for example, The duty of a security professional is to patch the mistakes made by the developer's, and if he himself
doesnt know the mistake because he doesnt have practical exposure, he immediately blames the degree that he earned and
that his school did not teach him. SO DID I, but I realized, schools just give a chance and a learning environment, the
real teacher is in you, and the teacher whom you think as the real teacher is just a guide. The choice is in your hands.

Shyaam