Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: vnc server

From: xyberpix <xyberpix () xyberpix com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 13:35:29 +0000

Hey Jared,

From the ports that you've got open it seems that this will be either a mail or web server, so I'm guessing that this is going to placed in a DMZ of sorts? What VNC will you be using and what sort of AUTH will it be using, password, RSA, Windows login credentials? I wouldn't advise running a VNC server on a public NIC at all, what if you slap another NIC into the box, and then set up a way to VPN into it from that side?

I have no idea on your setup though, HTH.

xyberpix

Blog: http://blogs.securiteam.com

On 23 Jan 2006, at 03:08, Jared Lyvers wrote:

First off, sorry Simon. I ment to send this to the list but sent it to
only you instead.

Now, on to my real question.

I'm looking to use VNC on my windows machine for remote logins. Currently
I only have the following open ports:

25/tcp   open   smtp
80/tcp   open   http
113/tcp  closed auth
1352/tcp open   lotusnotes
5902/tcp open   vnc-2
5903/tcp open   vnc-3
8080/tcp open   http-proxy

Are there any security problems that I may be over looking by using VNC on
my machine?

Regards,

JL

--

// Jared Lyvers

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management
education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience.
Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree
customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning,
Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus