Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Blocking WMF Files via Squid

From: "Gaddis, Jeremy L." <jeremy () linuxwiz net>
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 18:55:53 -0500

Gaddis, Jeremy L. wrote:

[snip text about filtering via squid]

Thanks for the comments, everyone. While I understand that blocking .wmf via squid isn't exactly 100% effective, it has already stopped at least one box from getting hit. Filtering .wmf seemed better than nothing. It seems, also, that my ACLs are 100% effective, mainly because their based on: 1) file extension (.wmf), and 2) MIME types.

In the description of what I did to implement this (detailed at http://www.jeremygaddis.com/2005/12/29/blocking-wmf-at-the-perimeter/), one step describes adding the following two lines in an ACL:

acl blockedtyperep rep_mime_type -i ^application/x-msmetafile$
acl blockedtyperep rep_mime_type -i application/x-msmetafile

As "Sven" pointed out in a comment, it works to stop absolute URLs which end in .wmf, but will not stop others. For example, it does not stop

http://www.heise.de/security/dienste/browsercheck/demos/ie/wmfexp2.php. Sven recommended adding the following:

http_reply_access deny blockedtyperep
http_reply_access allow all

However, even this did not work because...

---
GET /security/dienste/browsercheck/demos/ie/wmfexp2.php HTTP/1.1
Host: www.heise.de
Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate
Keep-Alive: 300
Connection: keep-alive