Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: vnc server

From: Philippe De Ryck <philippe.de.ryck () skynet be>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 00:38:51 +0100

Jared,

Maybe not a VNC-solution, but based on the open ports I'm guessing
you're running some kind of server version of Windows. Since Windows
2000 there is Remote Desktop included, which works in a VNC-kind of way.
The difference is however with RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol) you have a
total separate login (you don't just take over the current screen). As
far as I know, RDP is quite secure and I think it's fast too. I use it
and I can not complain about it.

There even is a linux-client available (just as for VNC) that works just
fine (I have some trouble with the keymaps, but that's because I have a
Dutch Windows which is crap :)).

If you use VNC from Windows -> Windows, you might want to take a look at
ultraVNC (on sourceforge). UltraVNC supports windows-authentication
(which requires the UltraVNC-client if I'm not mistaken). UltraVNC also
supports normal password authentication, which can be used with any
VNC-client.

Good luck

Philippe De Ryck