Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: #include file tag in HTML: possible issues?

From: Brad Spangler <brad_spangler () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 20:16:48 -0600

That include tag is a server side include (SSI) directive used to indicate to
Apache (or similar web servers) that it should merge in some content from
another file -- typically either plain text or HTML formatted text.

I would be fascinated if I found out otherwise, but to the best of my
understanding everything should be kosher as long as we're talking about
static text files. That is to say, the files or the include directive
typically won't add any potential security issues all by themselves. Your
SHTML file (that's the extension commonly tacked on to HTML files with SSI
directives) should be as safe as any plain HTML file.

HOWEVER -- more problematic than a simple include of a static file are some of
the other SSI directives, such as "exec". Fortunately, Apache (version 2
anyway -- maybe or maybe not on earlier versions, I'm not sure) offers the
ability to disable "exec" while still using "include".