Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Multiple Connection Attempts to Home Wireless Network

From: "Huang, John, GCM" <John.Huang () rbsgc com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 16:19:31 -0500

I wouldn't worry about it.

I live in a apartment building with probably 9-10 wireless channels in
used. My roommate just brought home a new laptop and it worked with
Internet right out of the box. He's computer illiterate and I didn't
help him setup to login to my secured wireless network. Turns out his
wireless NIC automatically tried to connect to every broadcasted channel
until it found one that worked.

Try turning off your router's broadcasting.