Security Basics mailing list archives

[RESOLVED:] Suddenly faced with password prompt while ssh'ing; two ip's assigned to adsl ppp0 iface?!?

From: John Doe <security.department () tele2 ch>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 09:12:57 +0100

John Doe am Donnerstag, 15. Dezember 2005 13.23:
Hello dear list members

yesterday I faced a strange phenomenon on my workstation, and I don't have
an explanation for it.
[...]
Now what happened:
When the phenomenon occured, the root shell was already up for some time, I
started the tool and was faced with a "Password: ". I tried the command
(/usr/bin/ssh -p <nonstdport> -l <nonprivuser> <remoteserverip>) from
another non root shell: everything ok, as well as from another new su root
shell. The phenomenon disappeard when I exited the root shell, su'd again
and rerun the command.
[...]

The reason for the password prompt was (an is) the usage of
su - (with hyphen). It does not show up with a su.

joe

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management
education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience.
Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree
customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning,
Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus