Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: nmap bloqued

From: Leif Ericksen <leife () dls net>
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2006 09:45:48 -0600

NO habla epanol (me) eposa habla epanol
There my spanish is worse than your English.    :)

Yes it is possible to stop NMAP from seeing a server.

1) If ping is turned off and you do not tell nmap to scan without trying
to ping the server you will fail the scan. (look at the nmap options)
2) What range of ports are you scanning?  Lets say for instance you are
not going to a limited range of ports 1-59999, now anything in the range
60000-65535 so I being a strange duck have told ssh to listen in on
60000, Sendmail to listen in on 65535 and reconfigured telnet do that it
will listen in on 65000  Your nmap scan will not find anything for that
server as well.   It is going to be a simple matter of how nmap is told
to function.   All very well documented, and I am sorry I do not know if
they have any Spanish documents I have never looked for any since I do
not speak Spanish.