Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Zonealarm+Windows Firewall

From: "William Starling" <w.starling () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 18:24:18 +0000

One implication of running 2 firewalls is the increased overhead. You
may speed up your network/internet connection by switching off the
Windows firewall.

On 25 Feb 2006 07:15:57 -0000, barcajax () gmail com <barcajax () gmail com> wrote:
I have been using Zonealarm for many years. I've only started using Windows Firewall recently after upgrading my XP
to SP2. I know that Windows Firewall only filters incoming packets (correct me if I'm wrong) thus I have kept my
Zonealarm installed and running.
What is the implication of running both firewalls concurrently? Does Windows Firewall automatically take precedence
over Zonealarm? Does this constitute a 2-tier firewall on my home PC?
I noticed that Windows Firewall does not notify me before dynamically adding new rules to allow traffic through. This
concerns me greatly and I am contemplating turning Windows Firewall off and relying on Zonealarm. Any comments?

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management
education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience.
Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree
customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning,
Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus