Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Group Policy Inheritance

From: "Ramsdell, Scott" <sramsdell () stinsonmoheck com>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 11:37:23 -0600

Peter,

Domain password policy is domain wide and cannot be blocked.  As stated
by others, the inheritance works as you would expect except for the
default domain policy's password settings (at least).  I don't know
about other settings within the default policy, as I've always only
implemented the password and account policies in this policy.  Any other
policy I want to implement is implemented in other GPOs.

Per Microsoft: "There can be only a single password policy for each
account database. An Active Directory domain is considered a single
account database, as is the local account database on stand-alone
computers."

From here:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/technolog
ies/directory/activedirectory/stepbystep/strngpw.mspx

If you want to set a different password policy for a group of users,
administrators for instance, you will unfortunately have to have another
domain.

You would set the policy in the second domain how you want, then form a
trust, and drop the security group from the second domain into the
administrators built in security group in the first domain.  Note, the
administrators built in security group is different from the domain
admins group.

Regards,
Scott