Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: RE: Down with DHCP!!!!

From: anon () gmail com
Date: 24 Feb 2006 00:28:31 -0000

Michael,
My compliments go to you on your response, it was very eloquently said, and likely sums up what the major majority of
what experienced security professionals reading this entire string of replies must feel at this point. I guess if this
guy chooses to ignore all of our advice (why did he write to the list again if he didn’t want to listen to us,) it is
going to be his problem alone when he is ostracized by his company. The one thing that really gets me though is that it
is guys like this that give good security professionals everywhere a bad name. These cowboys walk into the role with an
attitude and are set to “clean things up” by forcing IT shops to do it their way or the highway.

Didn’t this come into the profession with experience being on a network team? Shouldn’t he have realized that network
guys (as well as desktop groups) already have enough on their plates without having to worry about having to ask for
permission for every single IP address that they want to use, not to mention keeping him informed of OS and patching
levels? I’m not sure, I guess that may work in small environments, but it would never play in a large scale enterprise.

All I can say is good luck with your plan, and please do all of us a favor and write us when you go back to DHCP so we
can settle who won the pool when exactly you are forced to revert back to best practices methods. Good luck……

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management
education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience.
Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree
customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning,
Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus