Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Why Easy To Use Software Is Putting You At Risk

From: Alexander Klimov <alserkli () inbox ru>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 19:05:09 +0200 (IST)

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006, defendingthenet wrote:

Can I Write A Document Without A Potential Security Problem Please
Just a few days ago I was thinking about something as simple as Microsoft
Word. I use MS-Word all the time, every day in fact. Do you know how
powerful this application really is? Microsoft Word can do all kinds of
complex tasks like math, algorithms, graphing, trend analysis, crazy font
and graphic effects, link to external data including databases, and execute
web based functions.

Do you know what I use it for, to write documents. nothing crazy or complex,
at least most of the time.

You always have a choice to switch to notepad, nano, vim, or emacs.
Since plain text is WYSIWYS (What You See Is What You See) you will
never have problems with sending something which is not shown on the
screen. As a bonus you avoid Repetitive Stress Syndrome since you do
not need to reach your mouse that often.

--
Regards,
ASK

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management
education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience.
Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree
customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning,
Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus