Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Tracking down anonymous user

From: "Thomas D." <whistl0r () googlemail com>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 02:25:11 +0100

Mikef wrote on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 10:07 PM
Is there a way to track down what computer (IP address) was used to
send the messages?
I've check the exchange log files, SMTP files from my SQL servers, and
checked the recipient header (there was no header info), but I'm not
getting anywhere.

I don't understand why your SMTP logs don't tell you who (IP) sends the
mail. It should be logged!
Can you give us a copy of the header? If you cannot, because you said there
wasn't a header, can you explain how the mail looks like (because there
should be a header).

If I can't get them this time what can I do to catch
them the next time.

Setup some logging. No SMTP should accept mails without logging them (not
the content, just the connection).

--
Thomas D.