Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Receiving spam from my own server

From: "Will Yonker" <aragonx () dcsnow com>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 18:34:46 -0500 (EST)

<quote who="krymson () gmail com">
First, you didn't sanitize very well, but that actually helps answer your
question a bit better. :)

Second, email senders can be spoofed. I could send you email that looks
like it came from info () foobar net as well. Spammers and attackers do this
all the time. If I were spamming your company at foobar.net, I'd try to
pick something "official sounding" as well, like admin, helpdesk, support,
info, it-services, etc.

Third, you have the headers pasted below, which is good! You're looking in
the right place. In fact, they included this tidbit:

(e180234232.adsl.alicedsl.de [85.180.234.232])

I missed the earlier part of this thread so what I'm saying might have
been said already.

In any case, this is a prime example of why everyone should start using
something like SPF (http://new.openspf.org/Project_Overview).

I think this is a much better solution than some government somewhere
charging a fee for emails or some other draconian policy...

We as administrators better get this fixed or some idiotic legislators
(read US congress) will botch the job.

--
believed to be clean.