Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Identifying passion for security?

From: "Morgan Reed" <morgan.s.reed () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 13:54:52 +1100

On 12/2/06, andy cuff <lists () securitywizardry com> wrote:
Evening,
Showing my age I'm finding it increasingly difficult to find security geeks who
are truly passionate about security.  There seems to be a recent trend in
unpassionate people chasing either the money, an easy ride or something that
isn't as dull as network or system administration.
So how would you identify passion quickly, personally I like what cons have you
been to? If they are passionate but poor they would reply none but I'd like
to ....  What books have they bought,    what tools do they use    what sites
do they visit      email them at night and see how long it takes them to reply

what else?

I particularly like the last one ;o)

Good indications are also likely to be gleaned from the following resources;
<http://www.plethora.net/~seebs/faqs/hacker.html>
<http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/appendixb.html>

You could possibly try making a security-related holy war[1] inducing
comment and see what happens (This may however be
counter-productive.).

Other than the above and your suggestions I can't really think of
anything off-hand.

Morgan

PS. Good to see you're thinking of us poor geeks who can't really
afford to go to many conferences.

[1] <http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/H/holy-wars.html>