Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Procedure for staff leaving

From: dwidger () houston rr com
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 11:08:29 -0500

I fully endorse that the best method for a departure is to start with
the arrival.

My approach is to focus on the complete process, for employee
accounts, service accounts, and hardware.

For illustration, consider a new hire, who is granted privileges A, B,
C.  (where the privileges may be physical like badges, computers,
phones / PDAs, or virtual like network access, VPN, App A, App B, App
C, etc...)  There needs to be come mechanism (database) that tracks
what was given, and when.  When the party leaves / terms / quits,
there should be a mechanism to check off closure for A, B, & C.  This
real challenge is that often times, people get A, B, C on first day,
but over the progression of time in a given business, people also get
the privileges of D, E, & F .....  If the privilege storage mechanism
could produce a list of all the accumulated privileges at the
termination point, then a check off list could be produced to
methodicaly deactivate all of the privileges.

Now consider service accounts.  How is the tracking managed for this?

How about the addition of servers to the data center, or the addition
of apps, and services to the server?

If this is not explicitly designed into the process, then it won't
happen by accident.

There needs to be specific controls that measure effectiveness, and
specific people assigned responsibility for the controls.

Dan Widger