Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Secure Data Transfer Policy

From: simonis () myself com
Date: 24 Aug 2006 21:25:44 -0000

It seems to me you have a prerequisite policy to write.  Your data transfer policy won't likely say that all data needs
to be transfered securely, so you need to classify what type of data is in scope.  To do so reasonably, you probably
should start with a data classification policy which might define who is to classify data and what types of data are
considered public/confidential/highly confidental/whatever/.

Then, your data tranfer policy would be easily written such that, say, confidential data must be encrypted when sent to
external parties using a secure channel (e.g., sFTP) while highly confidential data must be entity encrypted such that
only the intended recipient can read (e.g., PGP or S/MIME).

-ds