Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Encrypting MS SQL databases

From: "Saqib Ali" <docbook.xml () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 08:10:29 -0700

easy.
just store the replicated data to a encrypted vault on the notebook.

encrypted vaults is a software based solution that appear as a
physical drive to the OS. Most of the business class laptops include a
free encrypted vault software. Dell includes WaveSys Security Center,
HP includes ProtectTools, and IBM includes Utimaco.

The followign is a review of the encrypted vaults that come with HP and Dell:
http://www.xml-dev.com/biometrics_and_encryption.htm#_Toc141103879

If you want to further secure the laptop so that data may not be
stolen from swap/temporary files, try one of the full disc encryption
products:
http://www.full-disc-encryption.com/Full_Disc_Encryption.html