Security Basics mailing list archives

External Penetration Question

From: thatch <leethatcher () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 02:47:38 -0700 (PDT)

This may seem a bit basic but i'm struggling to get my head around the
following concept:

if i have a network and it's configured with a 10.x.x.x IP address scheme,
it's sitting behind a firewall and all connections to the internet are NAT'd
out.  how could any PC's become exploited when the addresses of these are
non-routable. after all, if an attacker is able to exploit a vulnerabilty in
my firewall and gain access to that particular device i don't quite see how
he or she could penetrate any further into the network than where the public
IP address stop.

i've read plenty on this and will continue to do so but maybe i must have
missed a page because this seems to be the bit of the jigsaw that is
missing.  Can anyone explain or just provide me with a link.

many thanks.