Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: application for an employment

From: "onowlin" <nowlin.enteract () transitchicago com>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 14:34:07 -0500

There have been some very interesting discussion going on regarding this topic.  Just thought I'd add another extension
to this particular analogy.

If you use the analogy of a store then you have to also consider the items that are in the backroom and not available
for public view/access (stocked items, damaged/defective items, etc.,).  These are items not available to the public
for various reasons (including safety reasons etc.), so even though they are in the store (on the network) and possibly
even visible from the 'public' portion of the store, they are not meant for public access.

This could also extend to other areas of the store too, e.g. employee break room, which are public areas for 'certain'
people only (a store employee could access it, but not the public) just as a website's registered customers are
'authorized' to view certain portions of a website).  If I am a customer I am not authorized to go into the employee
break room, or better yet, the security  monitoring room, even if their only security turns out to just be a sign
saying 'employees only'.  Just because it doesn't have 3 deadbolt locks and an armed guard does not mean that I can
just walk in because its in the store.  Most systems include a warning banner of some sort, the equivalent of a sign,
and that legally is a good enough measure to let me know where the public area stops and the priv area begins.

So, just like a 'public' store has the rights to declare what areas are actually accessible to the public, a site admin
can declare what services the 'public' is authorized to use.  Also, I don't recall if the site that was scanned had any
types of warning banner, but a port scan would most likely be a violation of the university's policies.

Again, just another viewpoint.

OAN