Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: [unisog] OT: Putting Encyption Functions in the HDDs

From: "Saqib Ali" <docbook.xml () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 07:26:25 -0700

I am *totally* surprised that nobody is noticing that if the keys and the
crypto live on the disk, then merely removing the encrypted disk from one
machine and plugging it into another will Just Work (think for a bit - either
the crypto is invisible to the host machine, in which case nothing happens, or

See the following for an links to articles that talk about this:
http://www.xml-dev.com/lurker/message/20060425.042414.0b74d6fb.en.html#fde

From eWeek article:
-------------------------
The 2.5-inch drive offers full encryption of all data directly on the
drive through a software key that resides on a portion of the disk
nobody but the user can access. Every piece of data that crosses the
interface encrypted without any intervention by the user, said Brian
Dexheimer, executive vice president for global sales and marketing at
the Scotts Valley, Calif.-based company.

"The user has to activate a password to access any data. In fact, the
operating system won't even boot up until the password is entered," he
said. "So if the computer is lost or stolen, even if they take the
drive out of the system, it won't do them any good because all of the
data on the drive is encrypted."
--
Saqib Ali, CISSP, ISSAP
Support http://www.capital-punishment.net