Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Password Management

From: PCSC Information Services <info () pcsage biz>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 14:54:23 -0400

Hi Badhri,

Have you considered certificate based authentication? This would provide your organization with complete oversight with respect to login operations and ensure that user password theft, loss or other negligence can be curtailed. Given the *nix nature of your application it should be easy to use SSL certs to login, and by setting up the terms of each certificate, you can also ensure other user rights and/or revocation of the same are managed through a similar certification mechanism.

Just a few thoughts... google: TLS/SSL Authentication to see the scope of work on this methodology. I'm thinking it's a potentially a real winner. In truly secure networks passwords are the weakest link, and therefore, where we have a cost effective mechanism for the replacement of the weak link, it's well worthy of the investigation.

Furthermore once certificates are implemented, they're easy to manage, and you'll generally have fewer help desk issues, as the login process can be entirely automated
based on the existence of a certificate.

It's interesting to note that from a legal aspect, the use of certificates also constitutes a contractual mechanism whereby user/resource security can be better protected
under IT or other Business policy.

My two cents.

Sean Swayze
info () pcsage biz