Security Basics mailing list archives

Leak in SUN Microsystems java object

From: kevinlh () hotmail com
Date: 10 Apr 2006 19:32:56 -0000

I hope someone out there has similar experience. This one really has me worried. I use the JCO everyday, and without it
my ability to function is greatly limited. Over the last 4-5 weeks I have noticed a marginal leak over time in the
storage of java components. It isn't one particular object, it is pretty much anything I store in the JCO. So far the
only detrimental affect was a few corrupted document objects, and the occasional ring object left on a storage unit. I
tried a few patches that I used to fix some other container objects, mostly in tighter integration between the primary
user interface and the JCO storage, however there seems to be a secondary leak within the storage unit as well. The
secondary leak does not appear to cause any external vulnerability, however it does decrease my view of the primary JCO
storage. Most of the patches end up failing after I re-initialize the container. The user interface to the JCO is only
open when called, but there was one occurren
 ce of system crash when the lockdown patch was not reapplied after installation of java.

If this keeps up I will have to swap products, or upgrade to a new JCO from a different vendor. I have used the SUN
Microsystems product for two years, and it is just now starting to show signs of vulnerability. Boy, you pay a premium
for good coffee mugs.