Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Deploying SSL-based VPNs

From: "Saqib Ali" <docbook.xml () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 08:33:54 -0700

On 4/10/06, André <andrecompbr () yahoo com br> wrote:
SSL VPN doesn´t need install client application; you can use a Java Applet
to establish the tunnel; this applet can be available thorugh a remote
server; so, you put an url in your browser and the applet is loaded.

In many situations a Java applet might be considered are client
application, since it not natively installed on all computers. For
e.g. If I go to a library internet kiosk, and try to connect to a SSL
VPN, it will prompt me to d/l the Java Applet, and depending on the
security level of the kiosk, it will most probably NOT allow me to d/l
this applet. Thus preventing me from accessing the SSL VPN.

--
Saqib Ali, CISSP, ISSAP
Support http://www.capital-punishment.net