Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: What is an illegal act

From: "D. Bolliger" <info () dbolliger ch>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 18:56:58 +0200

Craig Wright am Donnerstag, 6. April 2006 00.06:
Hi Dani,

Hi Craig

Not all laws are based on legislation.

Is the fact that it , *sigh*, cannot be punished regrettable/unbearable?

Not to me. There are others who would see this otherwise. I could not see
myself even recommending an action against a person who even constantly
scanned a site. I do not see that value of the action. This does not stop
one being available. More on this in a follow-up post. I would not have
taken the action that Sony has either, but my views on this are not of
consequence.
Commercial decision is right. Remember that many commercial firms think
they are there to punish any transgressors of their rights (and this may
lead to an action of the shareholders against the directors for taking an
action against a person port scanning - but this is another issue again).

Maybe it's due to my bad english: I didn't get the impression that you
described more the economical darwinism (the balances of power and the role
of law in it) than your personal opinion.

I take this opportunity to try to stop further postings since my PONS is
heavily used discussing with you :-)

I realized that one of the problems in this discussion spread over several
threads was, in my view, the missing definition of several terms, starting
with "port scanning" (what tools? how aggressive? how many ports? etc.). This
complicates discussions in general.

[...]

Do they try to stop all people port scanning them
- they can not just pick on arbitrary cases. They
need to demonstrate an intent to protect the property.

You refer to ICMP replies mentioned in another post, right?

2     Logs, They need to
have proof as well. Discovery will allow the defendant to see the logs -
all of them.

All logs that are not mine are in no way reliable for me (even my own are
not always).

Even if the only traffic at reboot time was the port scan, I doubt this does
manifest a proximate connection [de: Kausalzusammenhang] between the port
scan and the reboot.
(maybe _sometimes_, and it could be seen from a core file or wherever, I don't
know enough to assess that. I just know that normally a box does not reboot
if portscanned [with appropriate care at least, in my experience])

[...]
3     The damage needs to be directly related to the action.

Again the problem with unreliable logs and the proximate connection ("directly
related")

This will answer the next question...

I'll set up a box that crashes on every port scan. The box runs a database
. with a $300,000,000,000,000 thing. Of course I don't backup anything.
When I detect somebody port scanning having a lot of money, I take him to
court: "hey, I want some bucks. Want avoid that? Then prove that the
crash has nothing to do with your port scan!"

First the claimant will only receive reasonable damages. (Lets ignore
punitive cases in the USA). This would be the costs of recovery.

In the part snipped away you mentioned the value of the IP hold in a
non-backed up database. My example of making money referred to that, just with
augmented numbers.

[...]
An example of a case where port scanner have caused reboots. A few years
back, MS NT 4 had a few issues with TCP 135 and 1035. Certain scans that
hit both these ports and closed "badly" would blue screen the system. If
the drive had a corruption (lets take Exchange 5.5) on a file - data could
be lost.

This example is really funny :-)
Best we don't discuss manufacturer specific crash features to keep the thread
short :-)

As for the disclaimer. This is a firm standard. It is a generalised
disclaimer that I have no way of changing.

Ok, I did not consider that.

[...]

Dani