Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: application for an employment

From: "Craig Wright" <cwright () bdosyd com au>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 11:55:57 +1000

Hello,
What a lot of this  argument comes down to is personal philosophy.

Ansgar is of the side of the fence who believe that the Internet is a
open public community, a commons with no restrictions. This is a
fallacy. An ideal that many hold that has never been true.

Unfortunately, for him and others like him, they do not realise that the
Internet was never free or open. Arpanet was a US (and Australian - let
us not forget) project aimed at the creation of a resilient network for
then use of the military and government. Darpa (with the help of the Uni
of Melbourne staff) started a project to formulate a network with built
in survivability. [not nuclear attacks - just general switching
failures].

The issue comes to property again. Even in the early days when the
Internet was "open" and ideas where shared - access was not actually
free. Way back, in a time long ago, I had access to an account on a
PDP-11 that used a 75 baud modem connection. I did not have to pay -
that is what family was for, but it was not free. It was access charged
per cycle.

There have been other listed posts "Death of the security community" for
instance that reflect this perspective. Unfortunately, all of this has
never really been the case. There has never been and never will be a
glorified hacker utopia.

A decade ago I was fairly active on the other side of the fence in view
if not action. Post a brief stint in the military and in part to rebel
against this I participated in lists such as Cypherpunks (using names
like doshai etc) and others back then and like some of the people wanted
to have an open world where all information is free and we can do
anything we like. I grew up.

We argued than like now that this firewall is better than that and
thought that we where better than everyone else as we could code a C
library and they could not. The "The great source code debate" was
strong than as now and there seems to be no end.

I used to issue 128 bit crypto patches to all of the Microsoft products
in defiance of the US crypto laws. All offered free (and the act is now
well past the limitations). Than, I too was foolish and had the belief
that I could do what I like as many have touted. Luckily for me the
world was a different place and most prosecutors could not email let
alone hope to understand the complexities of a crypto algorithm.

Seeing some of the effects when in the mid to late 90's I was the
security manager for the ASX I came to see the effects of my views. That
they where not valid. If you happen to be too busy to read and care as
to what is written, this is no skin off my back. When I was coming up
the ranks I also thought that I knew it all. The difference is that I
have come to understand that I was wrong back than and that rights in a
free country come with obligations. There is a duty not to interfere
with the rights of others. The law recognises this, your belief in the
fact does not alter it.

So choose not to read the law, ignore the cases and state that you are
right. Protest, complain and ignore the facts of the matter. This is
your right (in a "free" country at least). If you think that I am a bit
of a bastard, you should listen to somebody like Marcus Ranum - even
better an after drinks at a conference version (no offence meant). He
actually tries to get corporations to sue people who transgress their
policy. I just spout civil rights.

When somebody finally takes action against you, do not come crying to me
for help.

Regards,
Craig