Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: New Job.

From: Que <quadaffi8 () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 11:17:43 -0700 (PDT)

Howard,

The first thing you need to do is ask questions to the
employees, owners, managers, etc.  What is the primary
purpose of this network, is it to share information
amongst the worker bees, or is it to merely provide a
more fluid path to the internet?  You need to first
determine what type of information is important to
this particular company and who needs access to it
before you can design and, more importantly, protect
this information.

After which a thorough analysis needs to be done as
far as physical implementation.  Although they are
throwing this huge budget at you, it makes no sense to
spend money for the sake of spending it.

Outside of network communication you also need to take
into consideration security mechanisms.  Will the
company need a sufficient IDS/IPS solution?  What type
of firewall should be used?  Will VPN implementation
be a requirement?  Should you develope a separate
management network (I can answer that one for you...
YES!) to manage these new network devices?  Might you
want to think about using Juniper networking equipment
as opposed to Cisco?!?!?!

You have a fair task in your lap, and I hope you have
fun with it!  I have ALWAYS wanted to design and build
a network from scratch... you lucky son of a gun!

I hope this points you in the right direction.

Q Gaither

--- palmer.howard () gmail com wrote:

Hello all. I would like to send a thank you before
hand for the response’s and suggestions I am to recv
from this email.

After month's of searching, I have been hired into a
job position as the Network Administrator. The
company currently has a very bad setup of there
Network infrastructure and has hired me to come in,
asses the damage, and design a network, no matter
the budget, that would help to keep and grow them
for the future.

I have very little experience (on the job training)
with designing a network. I am a new graduate of
Technical college, where I graduated with all A's,
and did very well on my Capstone with
designing/building a Network infrastructure.
I have 5 to 6 years in the IT field, N+, A+, Solaris
10, Linux+, and the AS degree in Computer Network
Systems;CCNA-pending. My experience comes from
designing/building PC/Laptops, remote desktop
support, and my most pervious position was System
Database admin on Solairs/Unix
platform;Telnet,SSH,VNC,VPN, VT100 Terminal..etc to
remote clients.

What I ask from you expert's is this.

Help!! I would like to be pointed in a direction
that may help to guide me in creating a "beginners"
style network.
Are there any basic/template designs available?

There are a list of things I know we need.

1. A new Web Server.
2. File server
3. FTP server
4. Application server