Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Restrict the Domain Admin

From: "Craig Wright" <cwright () bdosyd com au>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 08:03:59 +1000

Everything is always a matter of technical and procedural. The next
question is which domain privileges do you need, first and foremost the
controls over the logging and audit trails should not be vested in a
complete admin. Give one set of rights to internal audit and another to
the general admin as an example.

The default admin account gets -
1       logged extensively
2       split - i.e. have half the password entered by manager 1 and the
other half by manager 2 or setup a token based auth and lock the token
in a safe - there are many ways to do this and technology is not always
the best answer.

Have a change process to get access to the domain admin account on the
few rare occasions where you need full access.

Set the admin accounts that you create to have no rights to change audit
for one account and no rights to do anything other than audit for the
other (and this than goes to internal audit).

Craig