Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: RE: ONLINE Masters program for Information Security?

From: wlawn () yahoo com
Date: 22 Sep 2005 15:49:27 -0000

I've been talking to Norwich and considering their MSIA program.  I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping the
graduates of the program could answer:

1. A couple postings mention the amount of work involved.  Norwich says that
15-20 hours/week is necessary to be successful in the program.  Do you feel that those numbers are realistic?  If they
are then why is there such a high attrition rate in the 1st semester?

2. The program has a managerial versus a  technical emphasis.  I would imagine that most of the reading material would
be of a technical nature in a program like this.  Does this mean that the program is focused on reading and writing
about security topics as opposed to hands on, in the lab working with the technology?  Do you see the lack of hands on
experience as a drawback in the real world outside the classroom?

Thanks in advance for any input,
Bill