Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: HTML/Java protection

From: Alexander Klimov <alserkli () inbox ru>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 13:30:26 +0300 (IDT)

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005, confusionvalley wrote:
I'm interested in having an online game made with java but i would
like to protect the .class from downloading it. It's easy to get
that .class and then decompile it and get the source code...
basically it's just watch the html code of the page that will load
the .class and get the name of the class.  Then you just pick a
download program and you get the .class. When you have the .class
you decompile it and get the source.  My objective is precisely
protect this source code... at least for now... later i'm thinking
in turning it open source... but for now the idea is just protecting
it. Any idea to protect the file from foreign downloads ?

You can easily protect files so that only authorized clients can
download them, but if you want your code to be executed by the
client's JVM it also means that he have to be able to download the
code. In other words, there is no way to allow downloading and do not
allow it. OTOH you probably can arrange your system in such a way that
some important parts are executed by server and thus you do not need
to supply the code for this part.

--
Regards,
ASK