Security Basics mailing list archives

Optical media destruction Was: Hard drives v. CF/Smart media/etc.

From: Alexander Klimov <alserkli () inbox ru>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 00:36:35 +0200 (IST)

From: Brian Loe
:  Better than optical? Surely you've by now nuked a CD - in my experience,
: between that and breaking one, the data is pretty much toast.
:
: If you break a CD, do you think you could tape it together and get it to
: spin up?!

This is not the right question :-) If the CD would not spin up it
`will stop your kid sister from reading your files' but it will *not*
`stop major governments from reading your files' -- they are quite
likely to employ device with slowly moved laser instead of spinning
the media.

Can't say that I have, YET.  But *IF* I really wanted to "kill" a CD
I'd nuke it, take it outside to the sidewalk drop it put my foot on
it and do the "twist" on top of it.  Flip it over and repeat, THEN
break it up into a "gazillion" pieces.

It is quite possible to resurrect a lot of paper from `gazillion'
pieces:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_shredder#Unshredding
So, I guess, it is possible to combine a single CD, and once it is
combined you can use the above (fictitious?) device. Of course, this
device can be used for finding matches in the first place.

--
Regards,
ASK