Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: RE: Windows Vista current flaws

From: Chris Umphress <umphress () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 21:54:13 -0700

On 3 Oct 2005 00:58:27 -0000, stephen_saywell () bellsouth net
<stephen_saywell () bellsouth net> wrote:
I am not technically an advanced user and you probably know better than I. I would never in a position of network
authority/decision making allow a beta version of any microsoft product on a network. Are you really serious
considering all the patches and patches to patches that always come with every new version of windows that comes out
even years after it's initial release.

Actually, Windows Vista was (from what I've heard) a near-complete
rewrite of Windows. Rather than trying to morph what already existed
into a more full-featured operating system, it was coded from the
ground up. In my mind, I would expect this to be more secure than
certain previous releases of Windows. In addition to this, Microsoft
is trying to make the slow climb back up to a place where their
software can be considered secure.

I would probably allow this student to test Windows Vista as it could
help prepare for its official release. That's part of the purpose of a
beta. Then again, it isn't my network.

--
Chris Umphress <http://daga.dyndns.org/>