Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Creating a Test Network

From: Mogens Valentin <mogensv () vip cybercity dk>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 01:00:13 +0200

nietsec () gmail com wrote:
I want to ask some questions regarding a test network for experiments...
I have 3 systems.I have VMWare 4.5 .Various OS's.etc etc ..
I have not taken CCNA exam ..so please dont mind to answer my silly questions

No worries, quite a lot of good people never got licenced in anything.

1.Can I can use Internet Connection sharing for 2 machines ? Or should i have to take 3 different IP's from ISP.

Of cause, as many as you like, use a router. Unless you want your systems to be seen on the internet (which you probably don't want), you don't need additional IP#'s.

Sounds like you may wan't to learn about networking, routing, dns and dhcp. The Linux HOWTO files is an excelent source. Since you mention CCNA, a good book about networking, which can later be used as a CCNA studyguide:
  CCNA Study Guide
  Cybex. Author Todd Lammle
  ISBN 0-7821-2647-2

2.How many OS's Should i install on 3 systems.

This is almost impossible to answer. Only you can, but:
As many as you need to work with, given you computers have the power, diskperformance and memory to handle the load.

Seriously, you need to determine how many OS's you need to work with, and can handle, in terms of qualifications, time, marketshare, intended job focus and so on.

An example: If you want to get good at i.e. Linux, FreeBSD, W2K3, XP, do filesharing and single sign-on integration between those, and work with patch management on those, you'll have your hands full.

With three systems, you should have enough hardware for different layouts to experiment with above examples, clustering and failover.
You can install the OS's in different ways on VMware, as multiboot.
Expect to have quite some memory, especially if you're going to work with Exchange on W2K3.

(pls enable wrapping in you MUA. 72chars or so will do just fine)

--
Kind regards,
Mogens Valentin