Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Host placement and DMZ internal/external questions.

From: Micheal Espinola Jr <michealespinola () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 10:20:31 -0400

In general, any server that acts as a service gateway should not be on
a screened subnet (DMZ).  The reason is that it will require you to
open more ports between multiple subnets, thus increasing your
potential attack vector.

Service gateways are generally best served via port-forwarding.

IMHO, DMZ-based systems should never allow external connections to
reach internal resources.  This methodology is also evident in Cisco
router configuration tools.

HTH