Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: SF new article announcement: Can writing software be a crime?

From: Kelly Martin <kel () securityfocus com>
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 12:22:01 -0400

cc wrote:
Pardon my ignorance, but I find it a little 'strange' that the
government should be cracking down on this type of thing.  There
are certainly a lot of products under the sun that fit the
description of "<product x> can be used for both lawful and
unlawful purposes".   Wouldn't this open a larger can of
worms, so to speak?

The issue in this case is that the product was being explicitly marketed
for illegal activities. The U.S. government has been on both sides of
the fence defending or prosecuting people who use security tools. I had
a good chat with Mark Rasch about how this comes to be, and he mentions
some of the reasons in his article.

Or am I just misreading this whole thing?

Maybe a second read of the article wouldn't hurt. :)

Kelly