Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Password creating Theories

From: "dave kleiman" <dave () isecureu com>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 14:39:09 -0500

Saqib,

I have been tasked with tech-editing the book (with Mark that is fairly easy
job).

I feel one of the great benefits to this book is Mark has explained things
in a way the most novice of users can understand. Now there are some
chapters that are for the Admin type users where he goes into Rainbow tables
and such.

However, this is book to help ease the Admins job, you as an Admin could
give this book to your end users and they would begin to "see the light" of
what you are trying to accomplish in a password policy.

Additionally, it may help some of the super-techie Admins understand why the
end user was not grasping the concept.

An example: 1 of many cool methods Mark uses to show the affect of password
length, is using the old Bicycle Combination locks, you know the old 3 digit
ones we all had or saw as kids, and how long it would take to crack, as
opposed to one with just 1 or 2 more digits.  All I can say is a spent about
3 hours out in the garage....

It is a fun and excellent book. (Note: I do not get a dime for any sales of
the book)

Dave