Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Symantec/Norton Real-Time Antivirus Considered Harmful on Exchange Servers

From: Kenton Smith <listsks () yahoo ca>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 18:41:33 -0500 (EST)

I'm sure your email will spawn a series of "Me too..."
and "But I've..." emails. My experience with Antivirus
software is that it is very much a "your mileage may
vary" situation. I've been running Exchange 2003 on a
Windows 2003 server with Symantec Enterprise A/V 10
and have not had any problems. The only issue is speed
and that would be solved by using a server that
exceeded Microsoft's Windows specs instead of just
barely meeting them.

Kenton

--- josh () securityfocus com, at
<jrandrews.net () securityfocus com> wrote:

I've had to deal Symantec/Norton antivirus before on
Exchange servers. This is a nightmare waiting to
happen and certainly more then a simple performance
issue.

I have been through a case where our Exchange Server
totally bombed and did not respond to requests for 8
hours because of the Symantec Corporate Agent
running on the Exchange Server. I did not originally
know what the problem was and finally had to call
Microsoft. We managed to figure out and turn off the
Symantec AV Agent. Also, the issue did not manifest
itself for a month or more and we never found out
why it chose to happen then...

MS recommends against running any filesystem AV on
an Exchange Server and it can even corrupt your
Information Store. We had lingering permissions
issues afterwards that it took a while to clean up.
And yes, the appropriate Exchange directories were
in the exclusion list. It didn't matter.

I know that the alternative of not running local
filesystem AV is not particularly attractive, but
it's better then crashing your Exchange server.

Regards,

Josh