Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Leaving a door open?

From: Robert Perriero <ssgsa () mail montclair edu>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 16:11:16 -0400

SSH isn't a bad service to leave open, but you need to stay on top of
security updates. A non-standard port is a very good idea. It won't stop
a really determined attacker but it will stop 99% of the port scanning /
bruteforcing attempts that you will see on a regular basis. Also, FTP?
If you open SSH to the world, no need for FTP, just use scp/sftp client
to transfer files.

Robert Perriero
Montclair State University